As a new or seasoned athlete, you know how important it is to develop a regular practice or workout program. Consistency, perseverance, and dedication are the marks of a top competitor. But what about after practices and workouts? Did you know that what you do after your workouts may be just as important?
Adding whole body cryotherapy (WBC) to your athletic training program will not only help you look and feel great, it has a wealth of benefits that will keep you in the game for a long time.
Why Athletes Should Add Cryotherapy to their Workout Program
Professional athletes have been using cryotherapy for years, but it has only recently trickled down to weekend warriors. This safe and effective treatment is a no-brainer for those who want to get the most out of their workouts as well as potentially prevent injuries that can sideline the average competitor.
Let’s take a look at the top reasons every athlete should consider whole body or local cryotherapy:
1. Repairs damaged tissue. You know the saying – “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?” Using cryotherapy as a preventative strategy in your regular workout programs reduces inflammation resulting in less muscle and tissue damage.
2. Reduces pain and inflammation. Whole body cryotherapy removes toxins from your blood that cause inflammation and muscle soreness. It also fortifies red blood cells with oxygen, nutrients and enzymes that aid in recovery.
3. Increases energy. Immediately upon exiting the cryotherapy chamber, you feel a burst of energy as your body begins to warm and oxygenated blood begins to circulate throughout your body.
4. Improves circulation and blood flow. Circulation is what brings oxygen and nutrients to the brain. The better your circulation, the better your performance. Cryotherapy improves circulation by removing plague and fatty deposits in the bloodstream.
5. Improves performance. You know that when you feel good, you are able to perform at your best. Regular cryotherapy routine boosts energy levels and releases those “feel-good” hormones that keep your spirits high and regulate your mood.
6. Speeds recovery from injury. Despite your best efforts, injuries do happen. And when they do, either local or whole body cryotherapy will help you recover quickly and easily. Forget about the constant on/off of ice packs and uncomfortable ice baths. Three minutes is all you need to get you back in the game.
7. Improves sleep. We know you’d rather be in the game 24/7, but sleep is critical in the recovery process and cryotherapy has been proven to increase the Z’s needed for optimal sleep.
How Does Cryotherapy Work?
Cryotherapy is basically a cooling of your body to a temperature of about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Each three minute treatment delivers -250F liquid nitrogen to the chamber, which stimulates your body’s fight or flight mode. Blood is redirected away from your extremities and travels to vital organs where it is flushed of toxins and re-oxygenated, resulting in improved circulation, more energy, and reduced inflammation. All things every athlete needs!
If you’re interested in learning more about whole body or local cryotherapy, give Nordic Cryotherapy a call today. With two convenient locations in Eastchester, NY and New Canaan, CT, it’s easy to make cryotherapy a part of your regular workout program.